What is Microsoft Outlook?
There are two ways to setup MS Outlook program according to user’s needs and requirements.
- MS Outlook as a Standalone application
- MS Outlook with Exchange Server environment
With Exchange Server Environment: In this, connect your Microsoft Outlook program to an Exchange Server that enables the settings of your account. After doing this, you are able to work even you are not connected with the server. Thus, you can access your messages, contacts, etc., and make changes to it, which will be updated automatically once the connection with the server is retrieved.
Types of Outlook Data Files (OST vs PST)
- For Stand Alone Application – PST File (Personal Storage Table)
- For Exchange Server – OST File (Online Storage Table)
Personal Storage Table (PST) File in Detail
Outlook Storage Table (OST) File in Detail
An OST file is a storage area that works in offline mode and it depends upon the account configuration. It creates an offline copy of every Outlook files that exist on the mail server. Moreover, it is used in an exchange environment by using the Microsoft Exchange Server. It also allows users to do several work on data items like editing the data, saving mails in the draft, deleting or adding items etc. even in offline mode. Data that are stored and updated in OST files will be updated and synchronized when the user goes online. You can fix various OST inaccessibility issue with the help of Exchange OST to PST Converter tool.
Comparison Between OST and PST: OST vs PST
- The PST file is a personal data storage which is used for locally stored Outlook files while the OST file is an offline data storage that can be used without any internet connection.
- An OST file permits users to work like read, edit, delete, synchronize and compose the mails even in offline mode. But, PST file folder does not have this feature.
- A PST file may be used with an Exchange setup, but it is not recommended. It is compatible with other servers also unlike the OST file which works only with the Microsoft Exchange Server.
In this write-up, we have compared OST vs PST and got an idea about both file formats in details. Both Outlook files are very important because they contain a lot of crucial information. So, people want to save it from corruption. In case, if a user faces corruption in these files, then they can use Outlook Recovery Tool to recover Outlook data files.