Outlook is an email client introduced by Microsoft. It enables users to send and receive emails and also acts as a personal information manager. Many users have faced various issues while working with Outlook. They also said that it hangs, stops connecting, stucks and freezes while performing operations. There is a reason for everything, similarly, Outlook also has some reasons for why it is not working properly. It is important to know the cause behind the occurrence of the issue. Therefore, in this blog, we are going to discuss the different reasons that lead to improper working of Outlook. In addition to this, we are also going to explain some reliable methods to resolve this issue.
Possible Reasons Behind “Outlook Not Working Properly” Issue
There are many reasons for not working of Outlook. The various reasons for this are:
- Using an old version of Outlook.
- Using Outlook to process a large number of data.
- Bug in your Outlook.
- Error in your office program is also a reason for this.
- Outlook data file can be corrupted.
- Outlook is working for too long on a single process.
- Too much of Outlook add-ins are executing.
Methods to Resolve ‘Outlook Not Working Properly’ Issue
Now we know all the possible reasons behind this problem, let us find out the appropriate solution to eliminate this issue. There are various methods to solve this problem. All of them are discussed in the section given below:
# Remove hanging Outlook process
While working with Outlook, many users have experienced the hanging issues, even if they attempts to shut it down. Basically, in it one process remains in the memory preventing Outlook from shutting down.
To resolve this issue, you have to quit unwanted task from the Task Manger. For this, right-click on Task bar and then select Task Manger. After that, select the unwanted task and click on the End Process.
# Start Outlook in Safe Mode
Every time something wrong happens with Outlook, Microsoft recommends you to start Outlook in safe mode. To launch Outlook in safe mode:
- First of all go to Start Button.
- Then search for Outlook.exe/safe in cmd.
- Now it will ask for your approval to launch the application in safe mode by displaying this massage.
- Click Yes and the program will be launched.
# Update your Window
May be your Windows is not updated and Outlook may not function if your Windows is not upto date. (missing full stop)
Steps to Update Windows
- To begin, click on Start menu and type update.
- Click Windows Update.
- Wait till the updating process completes.
- Now, click on the Install Updates.
- After the updates are installed, restart your windows.
- Then open your Outlook and click on the File option.
- Select Office Accounts. Click on the Update option >> Update Now button.
- After the updating process is completed, reopen the Outlook and it will run properly.
# Make Sure Your Outlook is Not Working On Large Processes
Outlook stores thousands of messages and allows to read them any time. Whenever a user tries to delete large amount of data at once, Outlook starts hanging. See the status bar you will know that the process is still in progress. In that case, give Outlook some time to complete all the process and afterwards, it will work normally.
# Repair your Office Program
Sometimes just by repairing your office program, ‘Outlook is not responding’ issue and other issues related to Outlook can be resolved.
Steps to repair Office Program
- To begin the process, quit all Office programs that are running in the background.
- Go to Control Panel >> Program and Features
- Right-click on the Microsoft Office located in the list of installed program.
- Select Change >> Repair
- After that click on Continue button.
# Repair Your Outlook Data File
Outlook may not work properly if there is an error in Outlook data files you are using. So, to repair corrupt PST file, follow the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, open Windows Explorer.
- Then, go to C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficerootOffice16.
- Open SCANPST.EXE.
- Now click on Browse and select a PST file to repair.
- Then, click on the Start button.
- Check the Make backup of scanned file before repairing box.
- Now click OK to finish the repair.
# Create New User Profile
In Outlook you can create multiple profiles and can add a new email to a profile.
Steps to create a new Outlook Profile
- Close Outlook.
- Now, go to Start >> Control Panel >> Mail >> Show Profiles.
- Choose Add, type a profile name in the Profile Name box and click OK.
- Fill the information required.
- After creating the Outlook Profile, on the Show Profiles dialog, choose Prompt for a profile to be used.
- Open Outlook and choose your new profile
NOTE: If by creating a new profile solves the issue, then delete the old profile.
Any small error in Outlook can break the continuity of work and there can be loss of data also. To overcome this situation, it is important to fix the issue as soon as possible. Thus, to fix the Outlook is not responding problem, a user can try various solutions given above. These solutions will definitely resolve your problem in an efficient way.